Birthday Cake Protein Donuts
Some people think an after-dinner dessert or a cheat day is the best time to indulge your sweet tooth with, say, a couple donuts. Not us. We think a much better time is immediately following an intense training session. At that point, the muscles are starving for simple carbs (ie, sugar) and will store them as glycogen; in other words, post-workout carbs are less likely to be stored as body fat than carbs consumed at other times of day in a sedentary state.
So, if you’re having a fierce craving for something sweet but want to minimize (or avoid altogether) any damage to your physique, do this: Make the below recipe, train your ass off in the gym, then come home and enjoy those delicious donuts. All in the name of replenishing muscle glycogen stores… in the tastiest way possible.
- 2 scoops JYM Tahitian Vanilla Protein
- 1 scoop JYM Strawberry Milk Protein
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk or water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease donut pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients (except for sprinkles). Then, add your wet ingredients and mix until you have a thick batter.
- Once your batter is thoroughly mixed, fold in rainbow sprinkles.
- Transfer your batter into a ziplock bag. Cut one corner of it and distribute the batter evenly amongst the donut holes. Bake for 12 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let the donuts cool in the pan for 10 minutes, before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely before glazing.
- Sift together the sugar, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the milk, then mix in the vanilla to make a smooth glaze. If the glaze is thick, add a little extra milk to loosen to a pourable consistency.
- Dip cooled donuts in glaze and add sprinkles on top.
Macros Per Donut WITHOUT glaze:
- Protein: 9g
- Carbs: 23g
- Fat: 9g
- Total Calories: 209
Macros Per Donut WITH Glaze:
- Protein: 10g
- Carbs: 43
- Fat: 19g
- Total Calories: 383
- You CAN substitute for gluten-free flour. I have tried this recipe with King Arthur gluten-free flour and it turns out awesome!
- If you don’t have the JYM Strawberry Milk protein on hand, that’s OK. Just use 2 scoops of Tahitian Vanilla instead.
- You can control your macros more by substituting the brown sugar for monk fruit sugar in the raw or any other zero calorie sweetener.